Monday, May 13, 2013

Dead Ever After

So, I just finished the final installment of the Sookie Stackhouse series. I am not impressed. Excuse me while I go on a mini rant. Ugh, Charlaine. Just ugh. Why'dyouhavetogodothattoagoodseries? (forgive my Diantha speak for a moment).


Now, I guess I should be fair for a moment and say that it is not the worst book I've ever read. But it definitely felt a little...off. Like Charlaine didn't really know what to do with it and just picked a direction. Sometimes, it felt like an entirely different author was writing this book. I dunno if she just lost sight of her original vision or got overtaken by her enjoyment of the tv show or what. But this is not the Sookie series I came to know and love and told everyone to read. It just isn't.

On a positive note, I can appreciate that some loose ends were tied up. Some characters that I quite enjoyed made cameos in the book and tied up their storylines, which was good. The villain was a bit unexpected, so I suppose that works okay, too.

I will say, though, that I hated what she did with some of the characters. And I am conflicted about the ending. On the one hand, it could be the perfect way to end the story. On the other hand, no. Just, no.

So if you're a true Sookie fan and you have the desire to know how it all ends and who Sookie chooses, then definitely read the book. Get the closure. See where it goes. But don't expect the fireworks that you found in some of the earlier books from the series. (And, I'm sure I've said this before, but I just really haven't truly enjoyed any of the books since the vampire convention at Rhodes.)

Not sure what my next book will be, but expect to find out soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment