Thursday, September 22, 2011

Nightstand full of books...

Hello all. Shockingly enough, I have finished another book. Today I finished Kathryn Stockett's The Help. Now I've heard a lot of things about the book and the movie, so I had to find out what it was like for myself. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. 
Who would have thought that a book about writing a book would be so enthralling? I think the reason why it's so good is that each character is captured so well. The book is narrated from three different characters' viewpoints, and they are each so different in their own ways. And no book is complete with a villain, and let me tell you, I know plenty of Hilly Holbrooks that are still around today.
I did make one mistake, though, and that was reading this book in my office. I definitely teared up a few times and thought, "Oh my goodness, I hope no one comes in to ask about an assignment." I understand now why so many people say that the movie makes them laugh, cry, and rage all at the same time. I feel like Stockett took a risk writing this book because of the time period.  She definitely captures that era well and all the tensions that were present. Her timing is fabulous and the lines well delivered. More than one time I found myself thinking, yep, I know exactly what she means.
Perhaps this book resonates so well because I am from the South and have lived here from birth. A lot of these old South manners are still in the fabric of my family (though not to the extent of this book, thank goodness) and I think that also helped me relate more strongly to the book. Overall, I would recommend it to anyone who's up for a good read that's not afraid to be brutally honest about a tumultuous time period.

Well, that's on book down from the pile of half read books I have. What to finish up next? I have three books I've half finished that I plan on finishing up (Clash of Kings, Dark and Hollow Places, and The Vampire Diaries). We'll see which one I get through next. Until then, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment